Monday, July 11, 2005

Bother

I can't be bothered to put this long overdue post into proper sentences, so bullet points win.

  • 21 Grams is a cool film, worth buying if you haven't seen it.
  • Why would it be so awful if God hated us when we were sinners? Would it make one single bit of difference to our daily lives?
  • It's so tedious to listen to all the rhetoric after the London bombings about not giving into terrorists, not letting them win by scaring us out of continuing our everyday lives. Where did this rubbish come from? Is it really the aim of a terrorist to make everyone cower in fear, locked up in their homes? Is 'terrorist' our label or their aim? Bad things happen to individuals every day, what makes this so much more worthy of air time than all the other tradgedies in the world?
  • I can't be bothered (tis phrase of the day, sorry) to 'feel' God. Why isn't he just there, like people? What's the deal with all this touchy feely stuff? Sometimes I think I have no heart.
  • Looking forward to the new expanded cell group meeting on Wednesday, though have no idea what we're doing yet. What a contrast to another cell group I went to last week, I'm looking forward to this one and I know that whatever happens I'll enjoy being with the people and the content (whatever it turns out to be) will challenge and inspire me. And I won't be bored.
  • Does something have to feel wrong for it to be wrong? Does the fact that it doesn't feel wrong mean that it's okay, or that I'm not sufficiently 'Spirit-filled' or in tune with God?
  • Is there any such thing as a spiritual wilderness where there's nothing wrong with life, God or me? I'm just bored and can't be bothered with feelings.
To hell with the world, I'm off to play flute.

2 comments:

sparkles said...

i'm sure i heard something on spiritual wilderness recently. Will try and rack me brains

Carl said...

It's so tedious to listen to all the rhetoric...
I agree. Not to mention the "war on terror", as though it's a normal war which can end. I'm not sure that it really can... and I read an interesting piece in the Times the other week which was bemoaning "wars on abstract nouns" like terror and poverty.


Why would it be so awful if God hated us when we were sinners? Would it make one single bit of difference to our daily lives?
Maybe not. I guess it just threw me and make me wonder if we have any idea what this God we worship is actually like, and whether the bible really tells us anything about him.