Thursday, June 09, 2005

Evensong

Went to evensong with Lou at Norwich Cathedral today. It was an interesting experience. It was a very passive service - a time to sit and listen rather than being actively involved - apart from singing one hymn and saying the Apostle's Creed and the grace, the rest was listening to the choir and the 'lessons'. It amuses me that Bible readings are called lessons, to me the Bible is much more alive than being just a lesson. Maybe it could be described as a super interactive C21st kind of lesson though!

The music was quite cool... I enjoyed it just because of the gorgeous harmony rather than what was being sung though, it was difficult to make out what the choir was singing. I imagine if I was more prepared and had the text in front of me to follow it would have been a nice opportunity for a bit of meditation (in the thinking sense). I felt very safe and comfortable in that small part of the Cathedral, but at the same time the vastness of the building meant I couldn't forget how big God is.

Lou mentioned in her blog about the leaders bowing towards the altar... that was a bit weird, though I suppose it could be seen as a mark of respect... but how can respect be shown to an almighty God by bowing to a table with a cross on it? I'm not quite sure what I think of that, but strangely I wasn't totally uncomfortable with it. Though turning to face the altar to say (or rather listen to!) the Apostles' Creed was slightly odd.

There weren't many people there, just a handful. There were more choir members than congregation. Being around such tradition in the city centre was a good feeling, yet sad... like God is so near and yet so far.

Need to do more stepping out in faith in the next few weeks, don't want to stagnate.

4 comments:

Carl said...

Sounds interesting - it's good to soak up a variety of traditions...

Harriet said...

i love singing evensong. I got to do it in peterborough and ely this year with school for a traditional service. The music is lovely, and its much easier to reflect on christianity in that type of environment. I love our cathedral. Was it the boys and mens choir singing?

Paul said...

There is method behind bowing to the altar.

The bowing to the altar is an act of submission. The idea is that when you see the altar and bow you are resubmitting yourself to the Lordship of Christ.

Laura said...

Yup it was a male choir Harriet.

It's so easy to misconstrue others' traditions like bowing to the altar... I wish the leader would stick around for a few minutes to answer questions!