Saturday, March 12, 2005

Music

I'm getting into Philip Glass, especially his Violin Concerto - the first movement is brimming with energy and moodiness, it's fantastic. Have a listen to an excerpt here. I'm also enjoying John Rutter's Distant Land, which includes a brilliant Beatles Concerto for orchestra and two pianos. It's big and dramatic in true Romantic style!

I thought I'd found my perfect full time job, working with children in a holiday club-type environment, but it's exactly that, a holiday job working for the council playschemes that run during school holidays. I'm going to apply anyway, as the holidays are approaching and it's good pay. Plus it doesn't require any formal childcare qualifications. Having A Levels doesn't seem to count for anything at the moment, most jobs require GCSEs, experience, or specific qualifications.

I've been going to Proclaimers Church in Norwich for several weeks now and finding it challenging and interesting. One of the things that irritates me about my previous church is the apparant lack of passion for God, but Proclaimers is more charismatic and the passion there is contagious! I'm finding it a challenging experience not only because of the good preaching but because of the way they embrace the Holy Spirit, which in some ways is quite new to me. I always seem to be a passive observer with the Holy Spirit, more often watching proceedings in wonder or bewilderment rather than participating in any way. I'm watching a
discussion about the Holy Spirit on NYFC's forum with interest, and wondering why the whole thing is such an alien concept to me in 11 years of being a Christian. I'm looking forward to getting more involved in Proclaimers, it's great to find a place where I'm comfortable with the people but being challenged by the content.

2 comments:

sparkles said...

i'm so pleased for you that you've found a church where you feel comfortable and yet challenged. I guess maybe HOly Spirit stuff feels alien cuz a lot of churches avoid the topic. Keep watchin and keep talkin to the big guy ;) love ya

Carl said...

"comfortable with people and challenɡed by content - a nice combination."