Monday, October 18, 2004

Typical block 1 procrastinator

I'm four weeks into my university career, and already I have an essay overload. I admit, it's all my own fault! I was given the briefs on the very first day when five weeks sounded like a long time. I've been frantically searching the library shelves to find the suggested books and will be writing two essays by Thursday hopefully. And as soon as I finish, I'll be looking up the books for the next ones... yeah right!

Lauren, my best friend, is coming up from Norwich on Friday. I can't believe she's coming all this way, it's really sweet of her. She's staying until Tuesday. Four nights to do all things girly... alas no chick flicks though because house 2 is devoid of a TV! Might borrow Ellie's laptop...

I just had an Ancient Israel lecture which was about Hebrew narrative, studying some of David's story. It's really interesting how tension is built up in such subtle ways. And ever noticed how stories are told mainly through speech? I hadn't. Maybe that's why people think the Bible is boring, just because it's written in a style different to our culture's. (Then again, maybe it's bacuse they've never opened a Bible). English stories are all about description and what the narrator tells you about the mood and feelings of the characters. Hebrew narrators hardly intervene at all, not even to give a moral judgement (which you'd probably expect from the Bible!) and the character's mood is ascertained through his speech. No description is given of the surroundings, it's a very succint way of telling a story. Maybe I'm sad, but I find it fascinating.

Off to study narrative technique in the story of David and Bathsheba now!

No comments: