Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekend Experiment, or Credit Crunch Part 1

This week I bought a medium sized chicken for exactly £3.

On Friday I made a simple roast dinner for 2 - extra ingredients were half a brocolli and roast potatoes cooked in goose fat (YUM). Bit of an odd time to have a roast but it meant having time to use the rest of the chicken for my weekend experiment.

On Saturday I made a chicken pie for 4 - extra ingredients mushrooms, white sauce, shortcrust pastry and the other half of the brocolli and a carrot on the side.

On Sunday I made chicken stock with the carcass - extra ingredients garlic, a carrot and a few peppercorns.

Today with the stock and leftover meat I'm making chicken soup, probably 6 portions - extra ingredients butter, carrots, handful of rice, bread rolls to serve.

Half of the stock will make vegetable soup next weekend if I can work out a way to freeze it????

That's 12 meals out of £3 of meat and £7.14 of extra ingredients (according to Tesco.com, although much of it I had in the cupboards already)...

= average 84.5 pence per meal.

This housekeeping lark is starting to make sense, thank goodness poor hubby isn't fed up with chicken yet. Credit crunch? What credit crunch?!