Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Shack


I've been off work for the two days now (flu) and, being bored and sleepy, a book while wrapped up in bed is the perfect way to pass the hours. Yesterday I finished The Shack, a book I came across by chance while looking at books in Tesco months ago for a birthday present.

The blurb says... 'The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?"' I've rarely pondered much over that question, maybe I've never dealt with pain big enough to have to question God's ultimate goodness.

For me what really touched me was the portrayal of God. For ages now I've been stuck in what I feared God would call a lukewarm mindset. I haven't stopped believing that God is awesome and worthy of praise but I couldn't muster up any excitement or real-ness about that. God was becoming a distant being, someone who might love me a bit but would one day judge me and reject me for having such a passive and small faith.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who might want to read it but I think it's completely changed my attitude. I'm not worried anymore! God and I are going to take this tiny seed of belief in my heart and make it grow again.

I highly recommend reading The Shack - I'm definitely going to revisit it soon.

1 comment:

Mark Tiddy said...

I keep hearing good things about the shack and bought it myself a couple of months ago however haven't had time to read it!

I am looking forward to reading it though!