Sunday, December 07, 2008

Interior design - temples

I'm studying a really interesting course in interior design, currently working on my second of 12 assignments. This one is looking at the influences used in buildings from the 16th to 21st centuries.

For instance, how many times have you seen a Greek temple? Never been to Greece?

Temple of Zeus


Chatsworth, Derbyshire


Holkham Hall, Norfolk


Marble Hall, NU's head office in Norwich


City Hall, Norwich


Not very interior, but architecture is turning out to be a fascinating and important starting point. An interesting point is that interiors tended to match exteriors quite rigidly right up to perhaps the mid 20th century. Now it's much more likely that you might find a sleek open-plan minimalist interior in the shell of an old farmhouse cottage.

I'm enjoying The Home Show on Channel 4/4OD at the moment with the yummy architect George Clarke. I'm a sucker for makeover shows but this one is really inspiring and has some great tips on styles around the world. It's great for hearing vocabulary I've come across in my course being used in context, helpful for distance learning.

1 comment:

sparkles said...

wow! I'd never looked at those buildings from that perspective before - interesting!