Monday, May 23, 2005

Happy Sunday

Yesterday I went to Taverham Evangelical Church, affectionately known to it's members as the TEC. It's attached to Assemblies of God and meets in the village hall, five minutes walk from my house. So why have I never been before? I've grown up with Mum calling it weird and I've never bothered to question her!

It's a fairly small church, there was about 50 people there. I was greeted at the door by Gill who invited me to sit with her. There were some worship songs led by a small band at the front, but they weren't on a platform or intrusive in any way which was nice. After notices and an intercessory/open prayer time, the assistant (female) pastor talked about Phillipians 2 - shining like stars and being servants. I miss the kind of sermons given at Surrey Chapel with lots of meat from the Bible. This one was good, encouraging and uplifting but more anecdotal.

After the service Gill introduced me to two guys about my age, one of whom was the pastor's son and said he recognised me, maybe from middle school in the village. He's planning to go to Hillsong in Sydney next year for some training. I also talked to his dad, the senior pastor, who was one of the founders of the church about 14 years ago. He was really friendly and genuine, I enjoyed talking to him and he was keen to make sure I had all the information I wanted. He said the overall ethos of the church was about loving each other, which I had already picked up from the service, it seems to be a nice church family. He encouraged me to come again so I get a rounded view of the church. I had no problem agreeing to that, it was a good morning and I'm looking forward to going again next week!

3 comments:

Carl said...

So why did your mum think it was weird?

sparkles said...

hey cool, sounds like something worth investigating further.

Laura said...

No idea why she thought that, I'm not gonna ask her.