Thursday, March 22, 2007

More chick lit

I know one of my resolutions this year was to read more quality books and less chick lit, but it's not really happening.

I read the first quarter or so of On Beauty by Zadie Smith and liked it, but it seemed too engrossed in a realm of academia to be a proper story so I didn't read the rest. I've also started and stopped I Know why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, which was recommended to me in sixth form while reading Beloved by Toni Morrison. Maybe I just don't get on with black fiction - their history as a people and the colour of their culture (colour as in the sights, sounds, tastes) is enticing, interesting, admirable but it's so hard to read!

I just wizzed through Love Rules by Freya North and loved it. It did make me think, but I realised I've gone straight back in to chick lit because it's easy. Grr.

I think I'll start my quest again in some middle ground, maybe a few books in the realms of Memoirs of a Geisha... or maybe just back to chick lit from the 18th century, I haven't read Sense and Sensibility yet...

No comments: