Friday, March 31, 2006

Marriage

Blogger is being so stupid, I've started this post about three times and tried to save it because I know it's going to be a long post, and it's lost it! Never mind, we start again.

I promised this post ages ago and promptly forgot my musings, but a good thread on the forum reminded me so here it is.

Marriage, in my humble unmarried opinion, is an amazing thing, and so much better and more serious than society portrays it. My family are a pretty good example of what seems to happen an awful lot. My parents were legally married, shared a house, parented two children, and yet my mum beleives that they were not truly married in the sight of God. Mum believes a lot of strange things, but the more I think about it, the more I agree with her on this one.

As a result, I set a lot more store by the spiritual union that marriage means, rather than the legal aspect. I can see how they work together, but they are definately not the same, and I don't think God is much bothered by our human legalities.

I've already written this bit on the forum, but it's worth writing again because God must be what makes spiritual marriage work. It's God's intention for us to thrive in community, and experience deep communion with him and each other. Father, Son and Holy Spirit all commune with each other within God, and we're created in the image of God. That's why the fall was so awful, it destroyed community/communion on earth:

- humans were cut off from God (Gen 3:8)
- humans were cut off from each other (Gen 3:12)
- humans were isolated from themselves resulting in loneliness, lack of meaning/purpose etc
- the relationship between humans and nature was destroyed (Gen 3:15, 17-18)

Marriage involves three poeple - man, woman and God - and that when all three are communing with each other, it's an amazing reflection of God and his own community within himself, and anything that reflects God is good. When I use the word 'to commune' or 'communing' I mean the kind of relationship that happens at communion (or the Lord's table, taking bread and wine, whatever you call it) - it's when we can come to God and have a harmonious, perfect relationship and interaction with him and everything is hunkydory despite our sin. (Read some of JB Torrance or Tom Smail for more on that).

I think Catholics have got the meaning of marriage pretty much right. This is from Wikipedia:
Catholic theology teaches that a validly contracted marriage is accompanied by
divine ratification, creating an indissoluble union; therefore, no divorce
is possible.

And I guess if the marriage is truly in the sight of God and has him involved, there shouldn't be any need for divorce, even if goes a bit wrong at some points. After all, loving each other isn't about being in love, it's about perseverance, forgiveness and all the hard stuff Valentine's Day doesn't tell you about.

In summary, marriage must take a lot of thought and even bigger doses of God, wisdom and commitment. I'm nervously but excitedly looking forward to it. Comments from experienced people welcome!

3 comments:

Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said...

once again, La has managed to articulate the thoughts of the many with few words.

I agree with all that, but I can't help but wonder how the religious act of marriage came into existence in Western society. Was it just an attempt to harmonise the Spiritual with the Solio-legal aspect of marriage, or, as with many Christian ideals (eg, baptism; Easter; Pentecost etc), has the church just taken a holy ideal and made it a religious obligation...

Helsalata said...

Good post! I too am fascinated by the dimension that marriage gives a relationship and agree with you that it's a spiritual one. I think that couples who experience sex and not the stretching parts of being committed to an individual for 10/20/30/40 years are truly not experiencing love. It is the hardest thing on this earth and yet given the chance, the most rewarding. Trouble is the reward could be outside of this realm of existance. If only we could teach what is needed to succeed and if only our pupils could listen, then we truly would have the foundations inbuilt in people to at least give marriage for life a go.

Gah!

Unknown said...

Sorry that I am not posting anything deep about marriage (though according to a course I have just been on you might want to know that research shows it takes most couples about ten years to build a lasting/happy marriage - many give up way before that of course).

Anyhow I meant to just post that after seeing your wonderful 'To Kill a Mockingbird' quote at the top there, you must go see Capote (you may get quite a nice suprise - well I did!)