Saturday, May 20, 2006

Currently reading...

Marriage Works by J John
I'm sure it's done a lot of people a lot of good, but it offers very little advice that I couldn't have used my common sense for. As I'm finding with a lot of Christian books just now, it has some very narrow views and doesn't take all of life's circumstances into account when making judgements and spewing out statistics.

The Great Divorce by CS Lewis
This falls into the catagory of 'Non-annoying Christian books'. From what I read I didn't expect it to be in story form, but that makes it quite enjoyable. It's just a tiny bit too difficult to understand all of it but a good read anyway.

Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier
DDM seems to be one of those one hit wonders - she shouldn't have published anything but Rebecca! Jamaica Inn is a story of smugglers and wreckers in Cornwall and is exciting enough but it's told from the exceedingly monotonous view of one character. I must have read loads of books in that style but with this book it seems to wear thin after the first few chapters. However, I shall read to the end to discover how the heroine overcomes the evilness of the keeper of Jamaica Inn.

All in all, a rather disappointing book week, but I'm off to the library now to put it right :)

9 comments:

Phil said...

Did you know that The Jamaca Inn is a real place and currently a Wonderful Tourist Spot?

Carl said...

...and it's a Tori Amos song!

Don't let the many many many pants christian books put you off the good ones (like Great Divorce - I enjoyed that one a lot)

Laura said...

I think you would have understood that one though! I'm about half way through and still not sure what he's trying to say, though some of the conversations between characters are interesting.

didn't know about Jamaica Inn being a tourist spot - I'm expecting it to be pulled down by the end of the book!

wanderingScribe said...

Thanks for the mention on the Norwich Youth For Christ Forum.
The dissenters have much more than a mere email account to nake them suspicious of the motives behind the whole event that Anya Peters has concocted.

All we are trying to do is make people aware of ALL the facts, not just those that fit neatly into Anya's version of events.

Thanks for reading.
Regards,

WS

Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said...

what is it with finding odd comments around these last few days?! my my!

Laura said...

My my, yes. Comment moderation turned on, sorry for the inconvenience, but it does mean I'll turn off word verification!

Unknown said...

I loved Jamaica Inn!

Its a great film as well - an old balck and white one. I hope you stick with the book.

sparkles said...

Have you read Choosing God's best?

I know you've already chosen ;-) but I'd be interested in your opinion on it if you have.

Laura said...

I haven't, who's it by? I'm off to the library again tomorrow :)