Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Breakfast Epiphanies

I picked up Breakfast Epiphanies in the library a few weeks ago and wondered immediately why, as I'm still trying not to read trashy chick lit! But despite the cover it's blurb caught my attention and I read on.


It tells the story of Toby and Sara. After they decide to get married, Sara realises that the big Catholic wedding she had always imagined didn't feel right anymore with her having lost grip on her childhood faith and Toby's agnositicism. She gives herself a year to go on a quest for renewed faith. They visit countless religious leaders and follwers around the world to contemplate following a complately new religion together. The thing that annoyed me about this quest was that they never properly investigated Christianity, but thought they had it covered by going to Lourdes and talking to lapsed Methodists (who only went to church out of routine). So many of the failings they found with a lot of the beliefs they looked into might have been answered for them.

I was hoping the book might give me some insight into how other couples deal with differences in their faith lives - if an agnostic and former Catholic can work it out I thought, a minor quibble about church between Ben and me might fade into insignificance. And it did in a way. By reading the book I was able to assess what it is I'm really looking for in my faith life and maybe it encouraged me to be a bit more independent in that process. Maybe more on my conclusions in a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said...

that sounds like Breakfast at Tiffanies.