Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bath


Bath is quite simply the most refined city I have ever visited. Above is the Circus (Number 8 is Nicholas Cage's pied a terre) and the Royal Cresent, home to a £300+ a night hotel.

While Ben was off mountain biking in Wales for the day I wandered around the city soaking up the sights. The Mayor of Bath has volunteers who provide a free guided walking tour which was a brilliant way to see everything of importance. I need a week there to go and do everything I heard about, like a trip to the Thermae Spa and cream tea in the Pump Room (which would set me back £17!) I'd also need a day just to do the Jane Austen things as well, walking tour and museum.

My weekend was filled with lots of interior design inspiration and Bath is a fantastic example of Georgian architecture. There are numerous bylaws protecting the outer appearance of the buildings which has created a beautiful and historic city. I highly recommend a visit to Bath if you ever have the opportunity, I can't wait too go back one day.

Every time I travel back to Norwich from other parts of England it reminds me how much of a backwater Norfolk is. I love our county and its fine city but sometimes I crave more excitement and opportunities than it can offer. Ben blogged on a jazz bar we stumbled across and we've resolved to seek out more culture in Norwich - we know it's there somewhere!

1 comment:

sparkles said...

great picture - glad you had a good time.

I agree - Bath is well worth a visit - and the spa is lovely :D