Tuesday, February 05, 2008

January reads

I'm keeping a note of the books I read this year in the back of my new diary. January has been a mixed month, each book good in its own way. A lot of these were Christmas presents. Saturday was definitely the highlight, The Savage Garden disappointingly the lowest point I've visited in a while. I heard mixed reviews of the latter and although the plot had the potential to be gripping the prose lacked fluidity and it was impossible to get lost in.

This is what's been occupying my 30 minutes on the train each day:

Chloe by Freya North
Saturday by Ian McEwan
The Savage Garden by Mark Mills
Bridget Jones 1 and 2 by Helen Fielding
The Daydreamer by Ian McEwan
My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson
Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella

Taking me into February is Beloved by Toni Morrison - a book I studied for A Level and haven't revisited since.

On my list to get hold of is On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (do you see a theme emerging?! I've just discovered him and he's totally awesome) and Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson. I've been blacklisted by the library for owing them too much though so will have to steal Ben's card until a cheque reaches them!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I did beloved and atonement by Ian McEwan for A level, Can't say saturday followed it up particularly well for me, it was really well written but I guess I want more of a story line than 24 hours.